The Peak Parishes

Tel: 01260 253945

Frequently Asked Questions:

Frequently Asked Questions:


Can I get married in any of your churches?

There are certain legal criteria for eligibility. In accordance with the Church of England’s marriage policy either the prospective bride or groom should fulfil one of the following conditions:

a) Be resident in the parish.

b) Be on the electoral role of the Church concerned.

c) Be able to provide evidence of a sufficient previous connection with the parish, such as christened at the church, parents married at the church or parents lived in the parish for at least 6 months during their lifetime. More detailed information is available from the Church of England website.

But if you are not sure, please discuss your situation personally with the vicar.

In order to be accepted on to the electoral role a person must be over 18 and have attended the Church regularly for a minimum period of 6 months. It is usually best if those who want to follow this route begin attending church as soon as possible.

Also, both parties need to provide evidence of their nationality and that they are either a British Citizen or from the European Economic Area or Switzerland. If not, other rules apply - please see this government web site


What are Banns?

Prior to your wedding Banns must be called at the church where you are intending to be married and, if different, the parish church where you live. The Banns are a legal requirement certifying that there is no lawful impediment to your marriage. The Banns are read out at the respective churches on three consecutive Sundays at the main service prior to the wedding day. They need not be read on the same days at each church. It is usually required that the wedding couple hear the banns read at least once at each church. After the third reading, if appicable, a Banns Certificate will need to be collected from the church in the parish of residence and handed to the vicar who will be conducting the marriage ceremony.


Either I or my partner is Roman Catholic. Does that make a difference? 
No. If you are not a practising member of the Catholic Church and if there is no objection from family members you are perfectly eligible to be married in an Anglican Church.


What does the wedding service involve?

This is best discussed with the vicar. The format of the service is quite straightforward but there is a great deal of flexibility and we encourage you to make the service very personal to you. There are many opportunities to involve friends and family in the service and you are free to choose readings, songs etc, that are relevant to yourselves.


What does it cost to get married in church?

As a very rough guide, the minimum will cost between £500 and £600. Optional items (if available) such as organist, choir and bells will involve additional costs. The costs will be discussed with you at the initial interview prior to your booking.


Same Sex marriages

Although the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013 is now in force, it is not legally possible for same sex couples to marry in a Church of England church. But please remember, where ever you get married, your church will always still be there for you. 

Powered by Church Edit